Heres the question weve been looking at in recent weeks:
Describe a subject that you think should be removed from school education programmes. You should say
- what the subject is
- why you think it is unnecessary for children to study it
- and explain what you would replace it with.
Heres my sample answer with band 7-9 vocabulary underlined:
- I’m going to suggest that art could be taken out of the school curriculum. In my experience, art lessons at school tend to include drawing, painting, and the making of collages using paper, fabric and other household materials.
- There are a few reasons why I think that school art lessons are unnecessary. Firstly, I don’t believe that drawing and painting are essential skills that children will need when they leave school. Children might find these activities enjoyable, but it’s unlikely that they will need them in the working world. Secondly, children can draw, paint and make collages in their own time at home; parents can encourage this, and they can even join in. Finally, remembering my own art lessons at school, I don’t think we learnt any real art skills; the teachers left us to draw or create things, but they didn’t provide much technical instruction.
- Instead of art lessons, children could do more work on core subjects like maths, science or language. These subjects are more likely to help children in later life when they enter the job market, and I think both children and their teachers would benefit if more time were devoted to them.